What an interesting and testing time we are in right now. Some of you may be working from home for the first time, you and your spouse both working from home, or both around each other a lot more. For those of you with kids living at home, like myself, most of their activities if not all have been put on hold indefinitely. We all are supposed to be social distancing, we are supposed to avoid fun places to go, and travel. While this can definitely be seen as challenging, it can also be an opportunity. An opportunity to slow down and really get to know each other, create intentional transformation with your family and spark great conversations. Often it can be so easy to get caught up in the busyness and bustle of life, what if we take this chance to get closer to each other? We’ve come up with a few ideas that can help get you started.
- Create a schedule/a new routine. This doesn’t have to be just for kids – it can be tweaked depending in several different scenarios. (Ex. I have a 16yr old who doesn’t need to sleep until noon each day 😊) Daily Schedule – they even have an editable version you can download and adjust as best fits you.
- Maybe start that devotional you’ve been wanting to do with your spouse or your family. Some of the best ways we can start the day with each other is with God and a little discussion. We all love to be heard. Listen to one another! Here’s a great place to start –
- Take time to love on your spouse, and on your family. I’m not gonna lie, I got this off of the Bachelor, but what a great idea! One night each week, have a special plate (one different from the others). Whoever gets that plate – the rest of the family goes around the table saying what they admire about that person, favorite memory about them, whatever (get creative). Just share the greatness you see in each other, everyone participates!
- Have some great conversation! Here are some great questions to choose from – 26 Great Conversation Starters for Honest Family Discussions. Put them in a bowl or randomly choose a number but these should spark some good times. Here’s a fun couple’s book to work through with interesting questions for your spouse! A Year of Us by Alicia Munoz.
- Get outside! When the weather cooperates take a walk, or a bike ride. Fresh air and sunshine does wonders for the soul.
We are here to help, if you have other ideas, please send them to me and we can put together a second edition of this! Let’s help each other get through this strange time together and find ways to be the light in our families and in the world right now.
Thank you all!
Vice President of Family Transformation